Swine Feeding Projections – September 10, 2018
Changes week over week:
- Open-market value of weaned pigs increased modestly (+$3.41/head), while feeder pig values slipped slightly (-$0.34/head).
- Expected lean hog values jumped moderately for both February/March and December/January marketings (+$2.94 and +$2.47/cwt, respectively).
- Feed costs+$0.60-0.70 per head: corn +$0.04/bushel, SBM +$9.00/ton, DDGS +$0.50/ton, lysine unchanged, and fat -$0.08/cwt.
- Open-market weaned pig profitability jumped slightly (+$2.00/head) and regained last week’s losses. Profits from $7-9 per head are projected.
- Feeder pig profitability took a larger step forward (+$5.00/head) with profits around $18-20 per head now expected.