Swine Feeding Projections – September 17, 2018
Changes week over week:
- Open-market value of weaned pigs increased modestly (+$1.95/head), while feeder pig values jumped sharply (+$9.45/head).
- Expected lean hog values jumped moderately for February/March marketings (+$1.79/cwt), but changed little for December/January marketings (+$0.04/cwt).
- Feed costs-$1.50-1.75 per head: corn -$0.18/bushel, SBM -$11.75/ton, DDGS +$3.75/ton, lysine unchanged, and fat -$0.12/cwt.
- Open-market weaned pig profitability slipped slightly (-$0.70-0.80/head). Profits from $6-8 per head are projected.
- Feeder pig profitability took a larger step backward (-$8.50/head) with profits around $10-11 per head now expected.