Swine Projections – May 21, 2018
Changes week over week:
- Downward pressure on the open-market value of both weaned and feeder pigs (-$2.32 and -$6.73/head, respectively)
- Significant losses in predicted lean hog values for both the October/November and September/October markets (-$3.09 and +$4.92/cwt, respectively).
- Feed costs +$1.00 per head: corn +$0.10/bushel, SBM unchanged, DDGS +$3.50/ton, lysine +$0.33/cwt, and fat +$0.46/cwt.
- Open-market weaned pig profitability lost what little traction it gained last week and then some (-$5.00/head), and remains well in the red.
- Feeder pig profitability experienced a similar set back (-$3.50-4.00/head), and also remain well below breakeven.