Swine Feeding Projections – December 4, 2017
Changes week over week:
- Open-market purchase prices were up moderately for both weaned and feeder pigs (+$3.78 and +$2.91 per head, respectively).
- Predicted lean hog values were stronger for May/June marketings (+$1.38/cwt), but slightly softer for March/April marketings (-$0.11/cwt).
- Feed costs +$0.70-0.80 per head: corn +$0.07/bushel, SBM +$3.75/ton, DDGS +$1.00/ton, lysine +$0.39/cwt, and fat -$0.50/cwt.
- The open-market weaned pig profit outlook dropped modestly (-$2.00/head) with profits from $2.25-5.50 per head.
- Feeder pig profitability took another step backward (-$4.00/head) and fell further into the red ($4.50-6.50/head loss).