Co-Jo Dairy Awarded 2019 Form-A-Feed Outstanding Dairy
Form A Feed’s annual Professional Dairy Conference was held on January 16 and 17, 2020 at Treasure Island Resort and Casino, in Red Wing, MN. At the evening banquet during the conference Co-Jo Dairy of Grove City, MN was honored with the 2019 Form A Feed’s Outstanding Dairy Award.
To be nominated for this award, the dairy must show commitment to the following areas: The dairy industry, community and country.
Co-Jo Dairy of Grove City, MN is owned and operated by the Jans family: Greg, Nikki, Joe, Jennessa, Seth, and Codey.
Their dairy started in 1953 when Greg’s parents Alvin and Arlene received two cows as a wedding present in Fulda, MN. They then moved to Grove City in 1959 and they were up to 12 cows. After going through multiple different expansions, Co-Jo Dairy and the Jans family are currently milking around 900 cows and running 1,300 acres.
Dairy Industry Involvement
Greg once said, “I believe that you must give time to give back and support the industry you are in.” He has done just that throughout his career as a dairy farmer.
- Greg was elected to the Farm Credit Board at the age of 38 where he served there for 24 years before stepping down.
- He has also served on the Minnesota Milk Board for over 22 years.
- Greg has been on multiple trips around the country and the globe to support the dairy industry and the dairy farmers of Minnesota and beyond. Including trips to Washington D.C., Cuba, and New Zealand with his wife Nikki.
- Currently, Greg serves on the Meeker County Soil and Water Board, as well as the American Dairy Coalition.
- The family has also been a big advocate for a new dairy research facility at the University Of Minnesota.
- The Jans’ have mentored several people into the dairy industry with little to no agriculture background. Jennessa and Seth have played a very important role in the dairy’s day-to-day success. They continue to mentor the younger generation in multiple roles such as a lease program for children to show their cattle.
The Jans’ are very active in the community in many different ways.
- Greg serves as the president at their local church in Grove City, MN.
- Joe, Seth, and Brandon (Jennessa’s husband), all currently serve on the Grove City Volunteer Fire Department and Rescue Squad. All of them are current officers in different roles.
- They have held multiple different community events as their farm over the years as well;
- Breakfast on the farm events
- Hosting the 5th grade class of Willmar to farm tours in May for over the last 25 years.
- Hosting the Ridgewater Dairy Management class for a field trip before graduation every spring.
- Inviting the Grove City Area C.A.R.E Program out for tours and dairy products.
- The Jans’ are very active in their community and would do anything to lend anyone a helping hand when they would need it.
Wayne Quinn Award
The Outstanding Dairy of The Year Award receives the privilege of selecting the Wayne Quinn Award. The Wayne Quinn Award is awarded in the memory of our past friend and co-worker Wayne Quinn to pay it forward. Wayne would do anything he could to help others. This year the Jans’ family has selected to give to the Grove City Area C.A.R.E. Program as well as the Grove City Fire and Rescue Squad as this year’s Wayne Quinn Award recipients.
It has been an honor and a privilege for Form-A-Feed and all of our employees to be able to work with Co-Jo Dairy and would like to congratulate them on receiving this years award!