Tend-R-Leen Product Line
Tend-R-Leen Growers (For calves up to 450#)
Tend-R-Leen 528 Natural Choice NM
Tend-R-Leen 528 is a flexible product that can be used in Grow-Finish diets.
- It can be in the traditional Tend-R-Leen program.
- You can use it as a supplement for a grain mix that is limit fed.
- It can provide protein, minerals vitamins and nutraceuticals in grass fed diets when more protein is needed.
- TRL “528”
o 5 = Rumen modifier
o 28 = 28% CP (5% from NPN)
- “Natural Choice”
- NM = Non-Medicated
- Features Rumen Modifiers and natural hindgut health additives
- The “Natural Choice” for ABF and Natural Beef production scenarios
- This product was designed based on producer request
Feeding Natural Cattle
The term Natural as defined by the USDA is very loose.
- It is generally accepted that cattle qualifying for Natural programs have never received antibiotics or hormones.
- According to SDSU, the Break Even for finishing cattle can be over $5.00 per CWT higher than conventionally fed cattle at a diet cost of $90.00/Ton
- Yeast based additives may recoup some of the efficiency lost by removing an Ionophore. In addition, yeast cell wall components contain numerous gut health components.
- Need to consider vaccinating for Liver Abscesses.
- Whole corn may reduce fluctuations in feed intake as well as metabolic and liver abscess problems.
- Proper management is critical for raising natural cattle. All stressors need to be reduced to keep the animals healthy from a reduction in the opportunity for acidosis.
- A sound marketing plan is needed.
Sources: Dr. S Loerch Ohio State University and SDSU Extension Extra 2056 Feeding Natural Cattle