Swine Feeding Projections – September 3, 2018
Changes week over week:
- Open-market value of weaned and feeder pigs were both up moderately (+$4.52 and +$3.41/head, respectively).
- Expected lean hog values jumped modestly for both January/February and December/January marketings (+$1.07 and +$1.61/cwt, respectively).
- Feed costs -$1.00 per head: corn -$0.06/bushel, SBM -$2.50/ton, DDGS -$5.00/ton, lysine -$0.17/cwt, and fat +$0.41/cwt.
- Open-market weaned pig profitability slipped slightly (-$1.50/head) after consecutive weeks of large gains, but profits remain on the positive side of the ledger ($5-7/head).
- Feeder pig profitability took a small step forward (+$0.60-0.80/head) with profits around $14-15 per head now expected.