Swine Feeding Projections – October 23, 2017
Swine Feeding Projections changes week over week:
- Open-market purchase prices were stronger for both weaned and feeder pigs (+$3.55 and +$4.64 per head, respectively)
- Predicted lean hog values were up moderately for both March/April (+$2.26/cwt) and February/March marketings (+$1.62/cwt).
- Feed costs +$0.20-0.50 per head: corn +$0.05/bushel, SBM -$9.50/ton, DDGS +$4.00/ton, lysine +$0.10/cwt, and fat -$1.10/cwt.
- The open-market weaned pig profit outlook held mostly steady (+$0.00-1.00/head), and remains solidly in the black.
- Feeder pig profitability took a small step backward (-$1.50-2.00/head), but the opportunity for substantial profit remains.