Swine Feeding Projections – July 30, 2018
Changes week over week:
- Open-market value of weaned pigs firmed slightly (+$1.11/head) while feeder pig values tumbled (-$10.55/head).
- Expected lean hog values rebounded for both December/January and November/December marketings (+$1.20 and +$0.82/cwt, respectively).
- Feed costs +$1.50-1.75 per head: corn +$0.13/bushel, SBM +$9.00/ton, DDGS +$5.00/ton, lysine -$0.20/cwt, and fat -$0.17/cwt.
- Open-market weaned pig profitability remained relatively unchanged with losses in the $17-18 range.
- Feeder pig profitability took a major step forward (+$10.00-11.00/head), but remain deep in the red with losses of $14-15 per head.
With recent swings in ingredient prices and seasonally low lean hog values, there is limited economic incentive to feed high nutrient density diets beyond this summer. Producer/system dependent factors outside these example scenarios need to be considered in this regard.