Swine Feeding Projections – December 18, 2017
Changes week over week:
- Open-market purchase prices were up significantly for both weaned and feeder pigs (+$6.16 and +$4.53 per head, respectively).
- Predicted lean hog values were slightly stronger for both May/June and April/May marketings (+$0.85 and +$0.78/cwt, respectively)
- Feed costs +$0.40-0.60 per head: corn +$0.03/bushel, SBM -$6.75/ton, DDGS +$3.00/ton, lysine +$0.51/cwt, and fat -$0.58/cwt.
- The open-market weaned pig profit outlook dropped substantially (-$5.00/head) as increases in purchase price and fee costs outpaced gains in the lean hogs market.
- Feeder pig profitability took another step backward (-$3.50-4.00/head) and fell further into the red.