Swine Feeding Projections – August 6, 2018
Changes week over week:
- Open-market value of weaned and feeder pigs was down modestly (-$1.67 and -$2.90/head, respectively)
- Expected lean hog values slipped for both January/February and November/December marketings (-$1.48 and -$1.80/cwt, respectively).
- Feed costs +$0.60-0.80 per head: corn +$0.03/bushel, SBM -$4.00/ton, DDGS +$9.75/ton, lysine unchanged, and fat -$0.12/cwt.
- Open-market weaned pig profitability slid deeper in the hole (-$2.00/head) with losses mounting to the $19-20 range.
- Feeder pig profitability took a small step backwards (-$1.50/head) with losses of $15-17 per head.
- With recent swings in ingredient prices and seasonally low lean hog values, there is limited economic incentive to feed high nutrient density diets beyond this summer. Producer/system dependent factors outside these example scenarios need to be considered in this regard.