Swine Feeding Projections – August 13, 2018
Changes week over week:
- Open-market value of weaned pigs was down modestly (-$1.34/head), but feeder pig values bounced back moderately (+3.49/head).
- Expected lean hog values rebounded for both January/February and November/December marketings (+$2.43 and +$2.25/cwt, respectively).
- Feed costs -$0.80-1.00 per head: corn -$0.12/bushel, SBM -$5.50/ton, DDGS +$4.75/ton, lysine unchanged, and fat -$0.13/cwt.
- Open-market weaned pig profitability rebounded through a combination of factors (+$7-8/head), but remain deep in the red with losses over $12/head.
- Feeder pig profitability took a small step forward (+$0.50-1.00/head) which made only a small dent with losses of $15-16 per head still expected.
- With recent swings in ingredient prices and seasonally low lean hog values, there is limited economic incentive to feed high nutrient density diets beyond this summer. Producer/system dependent factors outside these example scenarios need to be considered in this regard.