Swine Feeding Projections – April 2, 2018
Changes over the previous two weeks:
- Open-market purchase prices were down modestly for both weaned and feeder pigs (-$2.16 and -$1.14/head, respectively)
- Modest gains in predicted lean hog values for both the August/September and July/August markets (+$1.00 and +$2.05/cwt, respectively).
- Feed costs +$1.35-1.45 per head: corn +$0.16/bushel, SBM +$8.00/ton, DDGS +$0.75/ton, lysine -$0.41, and fat +$0.13/cwt.
- Open-market weaned pig profitability bounced back (+$3/head), but remains deeply in the red with losses near $20/head.
- Feeder pig profitability carried forth its upward trajectory (+$4/head), but losses near $10/head persist.