Swine Feeding Projections – October 9, 2017
Changes week over week:
- Open-market purchase prices were stronger for both weaned and feeder pigs (+$4.02 and +$0.66 per head, respectively)
- Predicted lean hog values were up modestly for March/April marketings (+$1.98/cwt) and sharply stronger for January/February marketings (+$5.66/cwt).
- Feed costs -$0.20-0.30 per head: corn -$0.04/bushel, SBM -$0.50/ton, DDGS +$0.75/ton, lysine +$0.20/cwt, and fat -$0.60.
- The open-market weaned pig profit outlook held relatively static (+$0.30-0.50/head) despite substantial swings in input costs and sale price.
- Feeder pig profitability took a major leap forward (+$11.00-12.00/head) due in large part to significantly higher sales prices and static input costs.