Swine Feeding Projections – May 7, 2018
Changes over the past few weeks:
- Open-market purchase prices were down modestly for both weaned and feeder pigs (-$1.29 and -$4.22/head, respectively)
- Massive losses in predicted lean hog values for both the September/October and August/September markets (-$8.11 and -$12.62/cwt, respectively).
- Feed costs +$0.80-0.90 per head: corn +$0.01/bushel, SBM +$2.50/ton, DDGS +$11.75/ton, lysine -$0.42, and fat +$1.41/cwt.
- Open-market weaned pig profitability took a hug blow (-$17/head) and fell to losses near $20/head.
- Feeder pig profitability fell from a slight positive margin to losses over $20/head (-$23-25/head).