Swine Feeding Projections – March 26, 2018
Changes over the previous two weeks:
- Open-market purchase prices were down sharply for both weaned and feeder pigs (-$6.43 and -$12.95/head, respectively)
- Predicted lean hog values were down sharply for weaned pigs placed this week all are now projected to market beyond August (-$9.85/cwt). July marketings also fell, though losses were moderated by comparison (-$2.62/cwt).
- Feed costs -$0.35-0.50 per head: corn -$0.11/bushel, SBM +$2.25/ton, DDGS +$2.50/ton, lysine -$0.92, and fat -$0.63/cwt.
- Open-market weaned pig profitability crashed (-$12-13/head) and sits deeply in the red.
- Feeder pig profitability bounced back nicely (+$8/head), but remains in the red as well.