Swine Feeding Projections – March 12, 2018
Changes week over week:
- Open-market purchase prices were down sharply for weaned pigs (-$11.00/head) while feeder pig prices fell just slightly (-$1.02/head).
- Predicted lean hog values were down sharply for weaned pigs placed this week as a portion will now market beyond the August market (-$6.78/cwt). July marketings also fell, though losses were moderated (-$2.90/cwt).
- Feed costs virtually unchanged when out weight differences are accounted for: corn +$0.08/bushel, SBM -$19.50/ton, DDGS +$1.50/ton, lysine -$0.08, and fat -$0.23/cwt.
- Contrasting market movements left open-market weaned pig profits down a modest $3/head.
- Negative movements in the lean hogs market outweighed the slight drop in purchase price with losses pushing another $4/head further into the red.