Swine Feeding Projections – January 1, 2018
Changes week over week:
• Open-market purchase prices held relatively steady for both weaned and feeder pigs (+$0.23 and -$0.45 per head, respectively).
• Predicted lean hog values were up slightly for both June/July and April/May marketings (+$0.57 and +$0.15/cwt, respectively)
• Feed costs +$0.10-0.25 per head: corn unchanged, SBM -$3.25/ton, DDGS +$0.75/ton, lysine +$1.42/cwt, and fat -$0.63/cwt.
• The open-market weaned pig profit outlook improved slightly (+$1.00/head) with modest gains in lean hog values outpaced small changes in input costs.
• Feeder pig profitability took another small step towards breakeven (+$0.50-0.75/head), but remain well in the red (loss of $5.00-8.00/head).