Swine Feeding Projections – February 19, 2018
Changes week over week:
- Open-market purchase prices were down moderately for weaned pigs (-$4.08/head) while feeder pig prices finally rebounded modestly after falling the previous week (+$1.38/head).
- Predicted lean hog values were up nicely for both July/August and June/July marketings (+$2.01 and +$1.41/cwt, respectively).
- Feed costs +$1.00-1.50 per head: corn +$0.06/bushel, SBM +$28.75/ton, DDGS -$1.50/ton, lysine unchanged, and fat +$0.12/cwt.
- Open-market weaned pig profits improved substantially (+$7/head), but remain well in the red.
- Feeder pig profit margins held relatively static with some give and take movement in the markets.