Swine Feeding Projections – December 26, 2017
Changes week over week:
- Open-market purchase prices were up moderately for both weaned and feeder pigs (+$3.94 and +$4.27 per head, respectively).
- Predicted lean hog values were stronger for both May/June and April/May marketings (+$1.78 and +$4.35/cwt, respectively)
- Feed costs +$0.60-0.70 per head: corn +$0.08/bushel, SBM -$5.50/ton, DDGS +$3.75/ton, lysine unchanged, and fat -$0.90/cwt.
- The open-market weaned pig profit outlook dropped slightly (-$1.00-1.50/head) as increases in purchase price and fee costs outpaced gains in the lean hogs market.
- Feeder pig profitability took a step back towards breakeven (+$4.00/head), but remain well in the red (loss of $5.00-8.00/head).