Swine Feeding Projections – December 11, 2017
Changes week over week:
- Open-market purchase prices were up modestly for both weaned and feeder pigs (+$1.56 and +$2.01 per head, respectively).
- Predicted lean hog values were stronger for May/June marketings (+$1.31/cwt), but slightly softer for March/April marketings (-$0.30/cwt) for the second consecutive week.
- Feed costs -$0.70-0.90 per head: corn -$0.11/bushel, SBM -$1.25/ton, DDGS +$0.25/ton, lysine +$0.40/cwt, and fat -$1.21/cwt.
- The open-market weaned pig profit outlook dropped moderately (-$3.50/head) with profits hovering near breakeven (+/-$1.50).
- Feeder pig profitability took another step backward (-$2.00/head) and fell further into the red ($6.50-8.35/head loss).