Swine Feeding Projections – April 9, 2018
Changes over the previous two weeks:
- Open-market purchase prices were down moderately for both weaned and feeder pigs (-$7.61 and -$4.31/head, respectively)
- Slight to substantial losses in predicted lean hog values for both the September/October and July/August markets (-$0.82 and -$3.50/cwt, respectively).
- Feed costs +$0.40-0.45 per head: corn +$0.02/bushel, SBM +$3.25/ton, DDGS +$2.25/ton, lysine -$0.17, and fat +$0.21/cwt.
- Open-market weaned pig profitability bounced back again (+$6/head), but remains deeply in the red with losses in the low teens.
- Feeder pig profitability carried forth its upward trajectory (+$2/head), but losses near $8/head persist.