Swine Feeding Projections – April 16, 2018
Changes over the previous two weeks:
- Open-market purchase prices were down slightly for both weaned and feeder pigs (-$0.88 and -$0.89/head, respectively)
- Significant gains in predicted lean hog values for both the September/October and August markets (+$4.05 and +$6.05/cwt, respectively).
- Feed costs +$0.50-0.60 per head: corn +$0.03/bushel, SBM +$2.25/ton, DDGS +$4.75/ton, lysine -$0.17, and fat -$0.08/cwt.
- Open-market weaned pig profitability bounced back again (+$9/head), but remains in the red with losses in the low to mid-single digits.
- Feeder pig profitability carried forth its upward trajectory (+$9-10/head), and broke into the black.